Jobs & Internships
The Communications Specialist (CS) leads Blue Water Baltimore’s communications to build brand awareness and engage existing and new audiences. The CS writes content, manages social media, and serves as primary storyteller for BWB. The CS communicates Blue Water Baltimore’s messaging via engaging, brand-aligned content. The CS develops creative ways to demonstrate our organizational presence through multi-media. This is a full-time staff position with benefits.
- Develop and maintain familiarity with Blue Water Baltimore’s projects, focal areas, advocacy issues, and strategic plan in order to develop interesting, informative, and innovative ways to communicate our work and engage audiences
- Work primarily with development director and board Communications & Marketing Committee to develop an annual strategic communications plan that capitalizes on internal and external activities and events and execute the plan with precision
- Work with all staff to ensure consistent messaging and language in all communications, including solicitations, volunteer communications, reports, and electronic outreach
- Collaborate in development and implementation of marketing and communications strategies across multiple platforms and formats
- Be an active participant in the BWB Engagement Committee and outreach activities, including tabling, public speaking, and use of social media to raise visibility of our work and meaningful news
- Provide staff support to board Marketing & Communications committee, including meeting preparation and follow-up, and actively engage committee members to further communications goals, including utilizing committee expertise to develop new content and collateral, test marketing ideas, and solve communications challenges
- Write, edit and manage content for BWB social media channels, website, electronic newsletters, and other external collateral
- Work with colleagues to develop press releases, written statements, opinion editorials and letters-to-the-editor to actively place Blue Water Baltimore’s messaging and policy positions in the media
- Work with staff to keep web content, blog posts, electronic newsletters, social media content, and collateral up to date and relevant
- Develop and execute innovative ways to explain BWB’s work, share advocacy and event information, and engage audiences in calls to action
- Monitor changes in social media tools and trends to ensure Blue Water Baltimore remains current
- Collaborate with BWB staff to develop communication materials (e.g., fact sheets, brochures, press releases, etc.) for print and digital distribution
- Identify and track evaluation metrics to assess success of communication materials and strategies, including social media
- Serve as a point of contact for the media and organize press conferences as needed
- Two years of experience in communicating with broad audiences, including regular content development (writing), strategic use of digital media and platforms, content management systems, and web publishing
- Demonstrated experience running social media channels (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube), and experience using Facebook to manage and schedule content, publish ads, engage audiences, and analyze results with an eye toward improvements
- Proven experience with website content management systems, preferably Word Press and Google Analytics, and web-based email tools, preferably Mail Chimp.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated experience telling compelling, clear stories about varied topics
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff and members/volunteers with varying communication styles
- Well organized and detail oriented
- A proactive, solutions-oriented, independent working style and comfortable with creative problem solving
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
- Filmmaking experience/Adobe Premier or video editing software experience
- Professional or volunteer experience working closely with nonprofit program staff to creatively tell stories, engage volunteers and community partners, and highlight impacts
$47,000 – $52,000/annually
How to Apply
- Please complete Blue Water Baltimore’s brief online application.
- Please also submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples – including articles, blogs or social media posts to [email protected]. Please include “Communications Specialist” in the subject line.
- Please, no phone calls.
Here are some other ways to get involved:
Blue Water Baltimore is committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and drug free workplace. We comply with ADA regulations as applicable.