Not sure which plants to use in your garden this spring? Go native! Plants native to an area are more well-suited to that area’s climate and soil, requiring less maintenance once established. Besides being good for you, native plants are good for the environment too. Native species provide valuable ecosystem services by creating a natural habitat for wildlife!
Who doesn’t love butterflies in their yard? I don’t know. But, I do know that planting a Butterfly Bush is not as beneficial to butterflies or other wildlife as native alternatives. Even if you don’t like butterflies, bees, or hummingbird’s, they are essential to life as we know it. So, replace your Butterfly Bush with a beautiful native Buttonbush. Pollinators love it, and so will you.
Beautiful Native Plants
Blue Water Baltimore’s Herring Run Nursery is Baltimore’s go-to source for native species. Here is a list of just a few of Maryland’s beautiful native species:
- Purple Love Grass (Eragrostis spectabilis)
- Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii ‘Lord Snowden’)
- Joe Pye Weed (Eupatorium fistulosum)
- Woodland Sunflower (Helianthus divaricatus)
- Buttonbush (Cephalanthus occidentalis)
- Broadleaf Sedge (Carex platyphylla)
- Wild Blue Phlox (Phlox divaricata ‘Blue Moon’)
- Beardtongue (Penstemon digitalis)
- False Blue Indigo (Baptisia australis)
- Smooth Aster (Aster laevis ‘Bluebird’)
- Beebalm (Monarda didyma ‘Jacob Cline’ & Monarda bradburiana)
These plants, and more, are available at Blue Water Baltimore’s Herring Run Nursery located next to the Mount Pleasant Golf Course in Loch Raven. View the full list of available plants.
Knowledgeable Staff to Help You
Want to make a change in your landscape, but don’t have time to do your research? We will make it easy for you! Stop by the Herring Run Nursery during one of our weekend sales and find out the best fit for your garden and yard, or just enjoy the view of our beautiful array of native plants.
Whether you’re choosing between species or loading up on compost, our knowledgeable staff and friendly volunteers will be delighted to guide you on your native path. And don’t worry if you can’t make it to one of the weekend sales, set up an appointment to meet with one of our nursery staff members for a one-on-one consultation during the week.